There’s no doubt that you have tasted olive oil, but have you used it as a hair mask? I’ve tested 2 home hair recipes that I came across while searching for simple olive oil hair treatments.
I’m going to share with you my experience and my hair’s thoughts on each one of these two recipes with olive oil for hair.
The fact that olive oil is an exceptionally nutritious food product is unquestionable. But it’s also known, since ancient years, that olive oil for hair is also beneficial. Olive oil has been used by people in the Mediterranean region for centuries (especially in Greece which is the land of olive trees!) for culinary and cosmetic purposes.
Do you know the benefits of olive oil for hair growth?
There are so many olive oil uses for hair!
Olive oil for hair is a perfect ingredient for growing strong, shiny hair naturally and for different kinds of hair types and conditions. This golden oil is used in hair recipes as a scalp moisturizer, dandruff fighter, volume booster, hair detangler and conditioner (just to name a few!).
Which olive oil is best for hair?
It is best to use extra virgin olive oil for hair which has the highest amount of vitamins and minerals. It’s the olive oil that is produced from the first cold pressing of ripe olive fruits. Avoid lesser qualities (if you can afford it).
So let’s cut to the chase!
Olive oil is amazing for pre-shampoo deep hair conditioning and scalp treatments.
Let’s check out together the results of 2 super simple olive oil hair pre-shampoo masks. Each recipe has only 3 ingredients; 2 of them are olive oil and honey, so no fuss at all.
Olive oil for hair treatment for nourishment & moisture.
OLIVE OIL + HONEY + MILK
Very nutritious hair treatment that leaves your hair soft and helps on hair straightening too.
- Olive oil has vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin K, fatty acids that help to control the dryness of the scalp and hydrate the hair shaft in-depth.
- Milk consists of two types of proteins called casein and whey that nourish the hair and prevent hair loss. Tip: for too dry, damaged, brittle hair enhance the recipe by using coconut milk instead of milk.
- Honey has anti-bacterial properties and seals the moisture, which helps hair hydration.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- Mix all the ingredients well. You can first warm the milk a little just to melt the honey more easily. And then add the olive oil.
- Apply the mixture on dry or slightly damp hair with an applicator.
- Make a loose bun and cover the scalp and hair with a shower cap. You could also wrap it in a warm towel.
- Wait 20-25 minutes.
- Then rinse and wash the hair with a gentle pH balanced shampoo.
- If you wish you can use mask or conditioner. I didn’t use any because I wanted to see the results of this mask.
- I would recommend using it as a weekly treatment for a month and then once every one or two months. But you could experiment, and your hair will tell you if you need to stop!
This mixture is completely liquid so watch out. For your convenience put it in an applicator bottle or a spray bottle.
Since I had time, I left it on my hair for 40 minutes and it smelled so nice (with coconut milk it smells even better!). When it was time to wash, my hair felt like hay and I got I little scared, but during the second hand of shampoo it softened.
In fact, when my hair had dried it felt so soft as if I had applied mask or conditioner after shampooing and my scalp also felt very clean and hydrated.
If you style your hair (you know; curling, straightening), you can put hair serum or a hair oil like argan oil which is ideal to protect it from heat.
Have in mind :
1) my hair type is normal to dry and slightly wavy. I wouldn’t really recommend this mask for too oily and/or fine hair.
2) the portions mentioned are sufficient for long hair, so if you have short hair you might consider using half.
Olive oil for hair treatment for strenght & volume.
OLIVE OIL + HONEY + ORANGE JUICE
Treat you hair with fresh vitamin C for shine and luster and it will love you to the moon and back! Orange juice maintains a healthy pH balance keeping the scalp clean. Combining orange juice with olive olive and honey you have a hair remedy for making your hair stronger and thicker.
- Olive oil helps against dandruff and dryness. It naturally conditions the hair and fights off fungi and bacteria. The vitamins and minerals of the oil protect the scalp’s health and the hair growth, preventing hair thinning and split ends.
- Honey is natural humectant which helps in preventing dry, itchy flakes on your scalp and keeps your hair clean & smooth.
- Orange contains Vitamin C & antioxidants that increase the blood circulation to the scalp. It helps the hair to grow strong and prevents hair thinning. Citric acid also dissolves scalp’s excess oil.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice (1 medium orange)
- 1tbsp honey
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Then spread the mixture on the scalp with an applicator. If you like you can dip your fingertips in a bowl.
- Massage the scalp gently.
- Use the rest of the mixture to the lengths of the hair.
- Make a loose bun and cover the scalp and hair with a shower cap.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes.
- First use shampoo without water on the scalp and massage to dissolve the mixture more easily and then add water and wash as usual to remove it.
- You will probably need to shampoo twice, but if you need to shampoo one more time, do so. It depends on the hair type and length. Don’t use very hot water to rinse, because it dehydrates the hair.
- I would recommend using it 2 to 4 times a month as a treatment and then once a month if you have oily scalp and hair. But always listen to your hair!
This remedy gave my hair extra volume but dehydrated completely my scalp and my ends had a really hard texture.
Also my normal scalp became oily within a couple of days. It usually takes more than 3-4 days. That happened because that hair treatment has astringent properties. Therefore my scalp became even drier and it was triggered to produce more oils as a reaction to the shock (sudden change of my scalp’s pH).
Have in mind :
1) my hair type is normal to dry. It should be better used on oily scalp and hair. Even fine hair could benefit because it gives hair volume.
2) the portions are sufficient for long hair, so if you have short hair you might consider using half.
Olive Oil For Hair Test Results:
1 – Olive oil + Honey + Milk:
Good experience, I was pleased with the results on my hair. What a nice olive oil treatment for hair! I’ll surely use it again.
I rate my experience 8/10
2- Olive oil + Honey + Orange:
Not so pleased with the results on my hair! So, I won’t use it again.
I rate my experience 5/10
Well, as you can see the best hair treatment will be your choice depending on your hair’s needs. So, here we have one treatment that is best for normal/dry hair and scalp and another that is best for oily scalp and fine hair.
Take your pick! I would love to have a feedback from you! Share your thoughts in the comments.
To You With Love.