10 Awesome Reasons To Use Natural Oils For Hair Growth (part 1)
Mother Nature has given wisdom, inspiration and all the ingredients to people to create amazing products, like oils for beauty and nutritional purposes. It’s easy to find them in the market; you can buy a bottle of olive oil for your salad or that new luxurious hair oil in that fancy package that caught your eye.
But do you know why you should use
natural oils for hair growth?
If you want to take matters into your own hands, you can even make your own hair care remedies. Between you and me, I think the most important step in this procedure is to find a supplier you can trust. So a good research is essential!
Months after a very stressful period in my life, I realized that my hair was breaking easily, had no elasticity and plenty of split-ends. I was frustrated! I wanted to take all the hair care products off the shelf and put them on my hair all at once.
At that time, I read an article about oils for hair care and I thought “why not?”
So my first attempt was with simple culinary olive oil (it’s best to use low acidity virgin olive oil). I was applying it on my hair once a week for a month as a pre-shampoo treatment (I usually shampoo two to three times a week). Even from the first two treatments I noticed some difference on my hair texture, I could manage it better. I was happy!
As you can understand, the more I read about natural hair products the more I wanted to try them.
So I used several other carrier oils like argan, sweet almond, jojoba, laurel (very common oil in Greece, like olive oil), coconut oil and essential oils like lavender, rosemary, ylang-ylang, rose.
Here is my list of the top 10 reasons why to choose carrier and essential oils for hair growth:
1) Carrier oils nourish, moisturize & strengthen the hair.
Your scalp is dry and maybe it’s itchy or even flaky. Your hair feels like hay and it looks damp. I’ve been there and it’s not pleasant! And who is to blame for this? Poor nutrition, blow dryer, styling tools and products, stress, climate conditions, just to name a few.
Carrier oils (also called base, fixed, vegetable oils) are extracted from plant parts, such as nuts, kernels or seeds.
- are rich in nutrients and ideal for the hair health, since they give the necessary nourishment and moisture balance.
- are entirely safe to use and are called carrier because they “carry” essential oils into the skin.
- give strength and shine to your hair and scalp nourishment.
- reduce hair loss, dryness and itchiness, help get rid of dandruff, and enhance a healthier hair growth.
And you can do it in a completely natural way!
2) Essential oils treat scalp conditions effectively.
Many essential oils are excellent for treating and relieve scalp conditions, like eczema, psoriasis, dandruff.
- can revitalize and promote hair growth, resolve dry or itchy scalp issues.
- are high in antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
- are distilled from flowers, buds, leaves, stems, seeds, bark, roots of the plant.
- are highly concentrated, hence potent and must always be diluted in a carrier oil.
- have extremely therapeutic properties and are used as scalp stimulators
- combat bacteria and fungi, reducing inflammation, itchiness or even scalp pain.
Each essential oil has certain applications, however some of them are more versatile like lavender or rosemary which are suitable for all hair types and can be used in multiple conditions. They penetrate deeply into your scalp, nourish the hair follicles and stimulate hair growth.
A hair care with oils, combined with a healthy diet which gives all the right hair vitamins, is the best formula for growing strong & beautiful hair naturally.
3) Carrier & essential oils for holistic hair treatment from root to tips.
Aside from adding a natural beautiful scent to the hair, essential oils are well absorbed through the hair follicles, providing their healing properties without accumulating in the body. When gently massaging the scalp, you increase blood flow and warmth of the skin which can help essential oils to penetrate.
When increased circulation occurs, the hair follicles are nourished by the flow of nutrients delivered through blood.
Also remember, clean skin and unclogged pores help absorption too.
Essential oil molecules being so tiny pass through the epidermis to dermis, into capillaries (small blood vessels) and finally into the bloodstream. They do a little travelling in the body interacting with tissues and cells, are metabolized and expelled from our system through bodily functions, sweat and exhalation.
If you want to know a little bit more about essential oil metabolism, doTERRA has a nice and simple to comprehend article.
Even through smell, essential oils molecules being so small can find their way into the body and benefit not only our hair but your body and mind overall, in a holistic manner. Here we are focusing on the hair, but if you want to expand your knowledge there are plenty of books about Aromatherapy.
However, carrier oils don’t make it that far into our bodies!
But they perform other important tasks; they stay on the epidermis (the outer layers of the skin) sealing scalp’s hydration, rejuvenating and making the hair shaft softer.
Carrier oils, especially the ones rich in fatty-acids, can enhance the structure of the lipids found on the first layer of the epidermis which form a natural skin barrier that prevent water loss and keeps out dirt and other natural or synthetic harmful substances .
And last but not least, carrier oils are the best means we can use to dilute essential oils for a nice scalp massage.
4) Variety of hair oils, suitable for each hair type & scalp condition.
First you must define your hair type. Then you should identify the hair condition you want to address so you can determine which oils are suitable for your hair care regimen. Or you can just use them to help retain you hair’s health.
It’s not just thick coarse hair that oils love. Even thin, fine and greasy hair can benefit too.
It’s just a matter of finding the right elixir for you. Although hair oils protect and nourish the scalp, what works for me it may not work for you. It may not even work for me at some point. You test and adjust until your hair feels happy.
Each oil has different characteristics and can give plenty combinations to suit your hair’s needs.
We have oils for hair growth that are oily, dry, thick or light. Some are absorbed quickly while others remain visible on the outer layer of the scalp and hair. You can begin to experiment with the carrier and essential oils, blending and adjusting the amount of each to have the perfect balance to maximize the benefits.
5) Carrier & essential oils are multi-tasking.
Carrier and essential oils can be used in several ways.
- Depending on their characteristics, you can use them in your hair care regimen as a pre-shampoo therapy or a hot oil treatment.
- Also, they can be excellent heat protectants before using hot styling tools or blow drying.
- Furthermore, there are plenty of hair recipes, so you can make your own hair care products.
- Essential oils can uplift the advantages of your shampoo or conditioner by adding just a few drops and carrier oils function perfectly as leave-in treatments or styling hair products.
Blending oils is great and beneficial because there is an array of oils to select from and many variations you can create!
And don’t worry about damaging you hair. You can rest assure that in the process of finding the right mix, your hair will be entirely safe. All you need to do is to follow certain safety quidelines when “messing” with essential oils.
Here are my rest 5 reasons for using oils for hair growth.
To You With Love.